Wednesday 19 February 2020

Skip counting activties

As I wanted to introduce my preschooler with skip counting, I was trying to make some activities that would be interesting and fun for her to explore. As you all know, we follow play and learn method. So here are some activities that we did to learn skip counting.

1. Pin and skip count - The first activity we  made was using cloth pins or pegs. I cut a cardboard in round shape and then I wrote the numbers from 1 to 30 in clockwise direction. So for learning skip counting, the child can just pin to the corresponding number.
For ex. learning the skip counting by 2 - child has to pin the numbers 2,4,,8,10,12,14,16,18.....
This also helps in building fine motor skills.

2. Lace and skip count - So here we used the lacing activity to learn skip counting. I used foam sheet cut in round shape and wrote the numbers and made holes for each numbers. So the kid has to lace through all the holes and learn skip counting.

3. Hundreds board - We used our hundreds board to learn skip counting. The child has to place the manipulative or chips on the numbers and go on skip counting up to 100.

4. Color and skip count - Introducing any concept with colors is always a hit among preschoolers. They love to color and here, I used it to teach skip counting. In a sheet of paper, I wrote the numbers from 1 to 100. We can use different colors for skip counting by different numbers.




No comments:

Post a Comment